So it’s Saturday, but that doesn’t mean it’s too late for the Friday Five. Today I’m talking about why I LOVE the holiday season in Disney World. Disney starts the “holidays” early – the 2nd week of November. All of the full holiday decor will be out after Thanksgiving, but if you want to get a taste of things without the crowds and the price of Christmas and New Years, there is plenty of good time and availability to travel. Here are some of my favorite things about the holidays in Disney:
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. This event occurs several times per week in Magic Kingdom. It requires a special ticket to enter, but it’s truly magical. What’s not to love? Snow on Main Street, Christmas Carols throughout the parks, special character meet and greets, an amazing set of holiday fireworks (set to Christmas Music), and an amazing holiday parade. Plus free cookies and hot chocolate (grab it from Crystal Palace so you can sit down and enjoy it!)
- Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree! Everywhere you look there are Christmas trees. Between all 4 theme parks and the resorts, you’ll find uniquely themed trees that are larger than life! These also become an additional photo opportunity (even in the resort). We got some great family photos in Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge after some appropriately timed dining reservations! Take time to marvel at the detail.
- Life-sized Gingerbread House. In true Grand Floridian fashion, you can find a life sized gingerbread house with little details unique to each year. It is truly amazing to see. Similarly, you also have amazing edible displays at Beach & Yacht Club, Contemporary, and Boardwalk. Take time away from the parks for a little bit of an amazing experience
- Candlelight Processional. This event in Epcot is free with park admission but doesn’t start until after Thanksgiving. A celebrity narrator tells the story of Christmas with a huge orchestra and choir. It’s truly a way to get into the Christmas spirit. Seeing Neil Patrick Harris as a narrator is on my bucket list (maybe someday). While the event is free, you may see yourself waiting a long time to get a coveted seat. To guarantee a seat, book a Candlelight Processional dinner package at one of Epcot’s restaurants. It will give you an opportunity to sit and enjoy the whole show. Out of the budget or can’t snag a reservation? You can stand behind the stage and still catch some of the show (we stayed for about 15 minutes before my toddler had an “I’m tired” meltdown). Life still happens in Disney
- Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. I saved the best for last! This is my favorite Disney World
holiday tradition. I can guarantee you that a few tears where shed the first time I experienced the floor to ceiling lights, snow, and carols all around. It’s nothing short of magnificent. Photos, videos, and words just can’t do it justice. You’ll be able to see this amazing experience beginning the 2nd week of November and through the holidays. It does get crowded the first few days and Christmas through New Years so there may be specific walking paths. Both times I visited in 2014, it was open walking. I sat on a curb for awhile and just reveled in the beauty!
Ready to get started planning your 2015 or 2016 holiday Disney World vacation? Please contact me at any time for a free quote. The benefits to using an authorized Disney vacation planner include saving time before and during your vacation with itinerary planning which can help save you hours of standing in line each day. Plus you won’t have to watch for available discounts, research resorts, wake up early for dining reservations, or stay up late for FastPasses. The best part about using a travel planner instead of planning yourself? It’s totally FREE! Plus I’ll take away some of the stress and confusion of planning a Disney vacation (especially if it’s your first one!)It’s also a worry free vacation opportunity. I’ll walk through through all of the steps to the process with a few little insider tips along the way! If you already have your vacation planned and are interested in transferring your vacation, ask me how!